Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Folkwear 106 - Part 1

Starting on the Turkish Coat Pattern.

Have Heather's final (expensive) fashion fabric.

After reading the pattern directions themselves, looking at the pattern pieces and reading the two pattern reviews I found online, decided that I definitely need to make a toile.  Just not that confident about fitting non-traditional pieces together.

Found some fabric at the Value Village 50% off sale.  Also hit up Jo-Ann's Memorial Day sale for some plain cotton at 2.29/yard.

Have read pattern warnings, guidelines and instructions numerous times.  Finally unfolded and examined all pattern pieces and cut to separate. I am pretty sure that the pattern is going to need to be sized up for a correct fit.  Apparently this should all come in the main pattern pieces - the side panels, gussets (which one review said were impossible to fit - oh joy) and side borders are NOT supposed to be adjusted.

So my plan at this point is to get the side assemblies made - side panel, gusset, sleeve (which I will cut to the pattern, but may have to adjust the final length).  Then attach the front extension (which are really supposed to go on the front) but I want the 'known' size done, and then I can adjust front and back as necessary to meet the side assemblies.

Heather is coming on Thursday. Here's what needs to happen.
Cut out pattern pieces. (done)
Cut out side assembly pieces (gusset, sleeve, side panel) from exterior fabric.
Cut out side extension piece from exterior fabric.
Sew side assembly together (one or both?)
Sew on side extensions (one or both)

My other question is - do I need to practice putting in the lining?

I think the coat is going to look a little strange without any quilting or trapunto but she says she doesn't want any. 

No comments: